Bye-bye beastie ...

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Tue Sep 27 21:35:29 PDT 2005

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC wrote:

> On Sep 27, 2005, at 8:00 PM, Danny Pansters wrote:
>

>> But I think what may be a problem is that the normal? people don't
>> see any
>> "progress" or rather movement then. Which may lead them to think
>> that the
>> system is stalled. It's my understanding that something like a
>> "progress" bar
>> like WinXP has (it doesn't need to show progress, just that
>> something's going
>> on behind the splash) would be very hard if not impossible to add. But
>> perhaps it is or can be made possible to have a gif or a bitmap in
>> which a
>> partial clipping changes every second or so (some left-to-right-and-
>> back
>> moving thingie).
>

> You can do what Mac OS X does under Tiger -- it uses a canned
> progress bar based
> on timing done from previous boots.  They time how  long the boot
> process is where
> they want the progress bar and then  put up a canned one that moves
> and lists what
> it is doing, but that  list is just timed for the average boot time
> and is not actually
> synced to show the correct actions in the boot as they happen.  (At
> least that was
> how it was explained in forum I am on)
>
> Chad

In light of this hopefully-soon-to-be-dead thread's title and general course
of discussion, we should probably just have a big two-frame animated GIF
of Bill (whichever one you want) that alternately faces left and right with
horns one direction and a halo the other.  ;-)

Give my regards to /dev/null, as I'll give your replies likewise,

Kevin Kinsey