hint.apic.0.disabled

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Mon Sep 26 11:52:45 PDT 2005

Omer Faruk Sen <ofsen at enderunix.org> writes:

> Hi, It seems that there is a conflict in manual pages. Or I am missing
> something. In manual page of loader.conf it is stated to add
> hint.apic.0.disabled="1" to disable acpi totally. But also in
> device.hints manual page it is stated to add hint.apic.0.disabled="1"
> line to disable acpi. Which one is the true one? To add to
> device.hints or loader.conf file. Best Regards. -----------------------

Please note that apic and acpi are very different things.  You
seem to be confusing them.

loader.conf(5) doesn't mention either one on my 5-STABLE system.
The example in device.hints is for acpi.  But there is
considerably more information about acpi in the acpi(4) man page,
with a lot of loader.conf tunables you can set regarding acpi.
One of them will disable it completely, but the syntax is
different than you would use in device.hints.

Also note that there is a whole chapter on "Using and Debugging
FreeBSD ACPI" in the FreeBSD Handbook.