gateway and smmsp

steve lasiter slas7713 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 23 19:42:15 PDT 2005

I have all FreeBSD boxes running 5.4. My gateway
server is set up as 192.168.0.1 and I have four behind
it. My mail server is 192.168.0.2 running postfix and
apache. I have the proper redirect in the ipnat.rules
and the proper ipf.rules to allow in email on port 25.

I can send mail successfully from the 192.168.0.2 mail
server but cannot receive it. When I attempt to telnet
into the gateway on port 25 and watch with a sockstat
-4 command a sendmail smmsp user pops up on port 25. I
never configured the FreeBSD gateway options for any
email handling and have all turned off in the rc.conf
file with sendmail_enable="NO" and others.

I've worked this for a couple of days now and the mail
server was working fine before I put it behind the
gateway. I thought it would be as easy as applying the
redirect and the proper ipf rules but it appears as
though my gateway is not allowing the redirect to send
the mail to my mail server.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Steve L