Dell PE 2500 install FreeBSD 5.4 freeze

Middaugh, Bob robert.middaugh at dol.state.nj.us
Fri Sep 23 19:27:59 PDT 2005

Hi everyone,
I have a Poweredge 2500, dual 1GHz cpu, BIOS A07, PERC 3/DI v2.8-0 bios
(build 6089), that I'm trying to install 5.4 on.  I boot from CD, with
or without ACPI, and it freezes after it recognizes the second of two
RAID containers.  It detects the first container, 3-18GB drives aacd0 as
RAID 5 on aac0, and the second container 3-32GB drives aacd1 on aac0
correctly, then freezes.  I can toggle numlock - until the 15 second
wait for SCSI drives to settle times out - then it's locked up.  I've
seen (google searches, and newsgroup archives) where some folks have
various versions of FreeBSD running on PE 2400 and PE 2550 servers, but
so far no PE 2500.  Anyone running any version of FreeBSD on a 2500?
Thanks, Bob