NEWBIE: how-to for feeding file to gnomealyzer.sh?

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Sep 22 09:28:08 PDT 2005

Benjamin Braatz wrote:
> Am 22.09.2005 um 17:49 schrieb David Armour:
>> ... to presume further on your kindness, a follow-up question: i  believe
>> i have bash installed. should i replace "/bin/sh" above with
>> "/bin/bash" or does it make any difference?
>
> Probably it wouldn't make too much of a difference, but the script was,
> if I see this correctly, designed to work with the Bourne shell (/bin/ sh)
> delivered with FreeBSD (i.e. installed in any case).

Yes, if the script is portable, sticking with /bin/sh is entirely reasonable,
and ought to work just fine with Linux systems who have Bash as their /bin/sh.

> BTW, your installed bash is third-party software from FreeBSDs
> point of view (installed via ports or packages), and will hence be
> found in /usr/local/bin/bash, not in /bin/bash.

It's reasonable to make a symlink from /bin/bash to /usr/local/bin/bash, just
so long as nothing tries to use Bash before /usr is mounted when the system
starts up...

--
-Chuck