Drives Dieing

Matt Juszczak matt at atopia.net
Tue Sep 20 05:05:17 PDT 2005

Hi all,

I recently bought a 160 gig hard drive at the store after my 40 gig
started failing with similar messages to the ones below.  The 40 gig
eventually actually died after a few days (as in click click, boom, no
longer detecting).

Now the 160 GB is giving me fsck errors all of a sudden, as seen below.
Is my luck just that bad?  Is the drive in the store also bad?  This
just seems like it could be a bad controller or something too, since its
happened to two drives in a row...... and one of them was a new drive.

Any ideas would be appreciated.... if I'm gonna take the drive back to
the store, I'd like to do it soon.

Regards,

Matt Juszczak

Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
WARNING: /tmp was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /usr was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /var was not properly dismounted
WARNING: /hd2 was not properly dismounted
ad1: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR>
error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=2 29575903