what was it ?

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Sun Sep 18 06:41:24 PDT 2005

Yuri van Overmeeren <Yuri.vanOvermeeren at reston.demon.nl> writes:

> Depends on the filesystem you use, FAT16 has a 2GB limit, FAT32 (in theory) supports very large partitions but I think
> you could get in trouble at 127GB or 137GB with MS-Dos. Newer MS-Dos (or other doses) support FAT32.

Old is relative, huh?  I recall the big hurdle for a long time was the
BIOS "INT 13" limits of 1024/16/63 C/H/S ~= 504 MB.

The minicomputer at work a few years before that had 14" (?) disk
packs of several platters each which held either 5 or 10 MB.

Then there was my first CP/M PC with 48 or 64k RAM and 50k floppies.

And "embedded systems" that fit in 2k RAM.