what was it ?

Yuri van Overmeeren Yuri.vanOvermeeren at reston.demon.nl
Sun Sep 18 04:48:11 PDT 2005

dick hoogendijk wrote:

>I know it is off topic, but I trust you guys in this group to just
>remember it.
>
>I'm building an old msdos machine for a little kid (very nostalgic).
>But I seem to rememeber that there was an issue about the space of the
>harddrive. Some kind of limit I don't remember. How large can a ms-dos
>partition be?

Depends on the filesystem you use, FAT16 has a 2GB limit, FAT32 (in
theory) supports very large partitions but I think you could get in
trouble at 127GB or 137GB with MS-Dos. Newer MS-Dos (or other doses)
support FAT32.

"Old MS-Dos" machines used FAT16, if the hardware is from that time
period you also might run into the hardware limitation that BIOS can not
adress more then a 32GB harddisk, most drives however have a capactiy
limit jumper setting for this reason. (limits drive at 32GB).

have fun :)

- yuri -