No dri on Radeon X300 SE

Micah micahjon at ywave.com
Fri Sep 16 10:34:47 PDT 2005

Micah wrote:

> I just upgraded to a new Athlon 64 system to replace my five-year-old
> system.  I ended up buying a low end PCI-EX MSI Radeon X300 SE video
> card to go with it.  I'm not getting any dri acceleration out of it.
>
> I basicaly did a hard-disk swap from the old machine to the new one.  I
> later CVSup'd my source to RELENG_5_4 (from 5.3 release), edited the
> kernel conf for the new system, and recompiled following the procedure
> in the handbook to see if that would help.  I'm still running in i386
> mode for now.  The old box had dri working with my Matrox card.
>
> I have xorg 6.8.2 installed and dri 6.2.1.
>
> uname -a:
> FreeBSD trisha.eidolonworld 5.4-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p7 #0:
> Wed Sep  7 14:46:11 PDT 2005
> root at trisha.eidolonworld:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/TRISHA  i386
>
> I've uploaded copies of my dmesg, kernel conf, loader.conf, and
> xorg.conf to:
> http://students.washington.edu/micahjon/public/
> (I wasn't sure about including that much text in my email.)
>
> Thanks for any insight,
> Micah

In the week that this email has spent in cyber-limbo I have since found
out that this is probably an "r300" based board and that support is
experimental.  I haven't gotten "experimental" support working yet but I
did fool the kernel into intializing the drm interface by adding my
card's ID in drm_pciids.h. I now have the following in dmesg:

drm0: <ATI Radeon RX300-test> port 0xa000-0xa0ff mem
0xd1000000-0xd100ffff,0xc8000000-0xcfffffff irq 24 at device 0.0 on pci2
info: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.11.0 20020828 on minor 0

Later,
Micah