Can I do this?

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.com
Thu Sep 15 19:00:40 PDT 2005

Hi,

I posted earlier today about setting up a FreeBSD 5.3 box to replace a 3.2
box. I've got the 5.3 set up on a different IP address (for now) and apache
and bind seem to be working OK. All the web sites and DNS zone files are
transferred over. Tomorrow I need to change the IP address of this box to
the IP that the 3.2 box is currently on, remove the 3.2 box from the network
and make sure the new one actually does OK in production.

What's the quickest & easiest way to change the IP address on the new 5.3
box? Should I do it via /stand/sysinstall or should I change it in
/etc/rc.conf and /etc/hosts (or do I need to do something with ifconfig -
which I'm least comfortable with).

Thanks,

Lisa Casey