Can I do this?

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Thu Sep 15 19:31:18 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 10:05:12PM -0400, Lisa Casey wrote:
> What's the quickest & easiest way to change the IP address on the new 5.3
> box? Should I do it via /stand/sysinstall or should I change it in
> /etc/rc.conf and /etc/hosts (or do I need to do something with ifconfig -
> which I'm least comfortable with).

Make the changes in rc.conf so that the box will be configured correctly
then next time it is rebooted. To change the address without rebooting,
you'll have to use ifconfig. Do
	ifconfig -a
to get the device, e.g. xl0. Then do
	ifconfig xl0 192.168.2.1
changing 'xl0' to your device and '192.168.2.1' to your address.