Problem at first boot

Ashley Moran work at ashleymoran.me.uk
Thu Sep 15 02:43:10 PDT 2005

Julien FOURNIER wrote:
> "Can't exec /bin/sh fot /etc/rc : No such File or directory.
> Enter full path of Shell or type Enter for /bin/sh"
>
> If I type Enter, the system tells me that the file can't be found...I
> don't know how to do!!!
>
> I have installed the system as following : Standard installation
>
> * / =>1GB
> * /etc =>1GB
> * /bin =>1GB
> * /dev =>1GB
> * swap partition =>2GB
> * /var =>6GB
>

> Did I make an error while installing, or is there a simple solution to
> solve my (very very !!!) big problem??
>
> Thanks a lot...
>
> ----------
> Julien Fournier

Julien

I'm no expert on the boot process of FreeBSD but the problem appears to
be that your /bin partition has not been mounted.  Normally /bin lives
in the same partition as / as it contains essential binaries.

Normally you could run

# mount -a

Which will mount all filesystems in /etc/fstab, but because your /etc is
on a different partition, presumably it is not already mounted.  You
have a catch-22.

Maybe there is a clever use of the mount command to get the filesystem
up (if you know the partition layout) but I suggest you re-install and
put /etc, /bin and /dev on the / partition.  /var should have its own
partition so this is ok.

Run the following for a good overview of the filesystem:

# man hier

Regards

Ashley