File-Backed Memory Disks: Performance and Manipulation

David Marshall dmarshall at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 12:44:55 PDT 2005

Hi,

Scenario: We have millions of little (almost all < 10 kB), about 30 GB
total.  It takes > 24 hours to either tar them up or then untar them.
It finally occured to us to put them into a file-backed memory disk.

Questions:

1. How does the performance of a file-backed memory disk change as it
becomes large?

2. Is there a clever way to make such a file-backed memory disk bigger
after the fact?  If I want to expand my 30 GB file to 50 GB, am I
stuck with just making a new one and copying it over?

TIA!