Laptop questions

Derrill Guilbert derrill at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 09:40:13 PDT 2005

Jerry McAllister wrote:

>>in message <200509112357.j8BNvDo0026898 at clunix.cl.msu.edu>, wrote
>>Jerry McAllister thusly...
>>

>>>I have had good success using Partition Magic from PowerQuest to
>>>manipulate disk slices including NTFS types.
>>>

>>Same here.
>>

>>>Unless you are working on a separate disk from the one you are
>>>booting the machine you cannot run from the installed copy.   To
>>>work on the main disk (most likely your case with a laptop), you
>>>must make the boot floppies it tells about in the Partition Magic
>>>documentation and then boot from them to do the disk slice
>>>manipulation.
>>>

>>Well, i was able to manipulate the slices while Partition Magic 6.x
>>was running on MS Windows (XP, and probably Me, don't remember about
>>98), w/o use of floppies or CDs.
>>

>I could do some things, but not what I needed.   Using
>the floppies made it all work and it was quite straightforward.
>I was changing slice sizes (shrinking) and slice types.   So, ???
>
>////jerry
>

>>  - Parv

An all windows issue but, word of warning with Partition Magic. I was
attempting to merge two slices into one larger with PM versions 7 and
version 8, two different PCs (same version MSI MB and Maxtor hdd though,
so I'm guessing the issue is one of them) and both failed. All NTFS,
WinXP. Be sure to do your backups and whatnot - in both cases the larger
second slice was lost completely and backups were the only thing that
saved me. Ended up wipe and reload on both.

Funny thing is, my boss has reported great success with both versions on
various MSI mbs. So, I dunno.

Derrill