Thanks a lot!!!

Mario Hoerich spambox at MHoerich.de
Sun Sep 11 07:24:22 PDT 2005

# Gregory Nou:

[ Playing with FBSD ]
> I ran Neverwinter Nights, Enemy Territory and UT2004 with great success.

There are two issues with FreeBSD here (I've found out the
hard way):

  1) There is no nVidia-driver for amd64 and --unless nVidia changes
     their mind-- there won't ever be one.

  2) The i386-nVidia-driver (tested 6113, 7667, 7676) seems to have
     a major problem with Athlon64 on socket 939.  Just google for

| NVRM: AGP cannot be enabled on this combination of the AMD CPU and OS kernel
| NVRM: kernel upgrade recommended.

     Apparently, the driver is unable to use either NVAgp or native
     AGP.  You'll still be able to use twin-screens and hardware
     accelleration, albeit at a very limited transfer bandwidth to
     the GPU.  Some people seem lucky enough and are still able to
     play, but I know that _for me_ UT2004 runs *way* too slow since
     updating CPU+Mainboard.  (Ran perfectly fine before).

In short: if your PCs have a combination of nVidia-GPU and
Athlon64/939-CPU, FreeBSD is not a good choice atm. :(

 HTH
Mario