MYSQLD mysql-server for 5.2.1

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Fri Sep 9 21:55:16 PDT 2005

In the last episode (Sep 10), John Do said:
> Thanks Dan again
>
> That does work.
>
> The only bothering me is the fact that I had no idea where to look :)
>
> Also in Linux normally comands like mysqld can be run automatically
> instead of running a .sh file

You can run mysqld manually in FreeBSD, too.  It's just cleaner if you
use the startup script.

> And the real confusing thing is that there is no chkconfig sort of
> utility that automatically adds an entry.

It's different for each OS.  chkconfig doesn't take the same arguments
on RedHat and SUSE, so there isn't even consistency within Linux.
FreeBSD ports always install their scripts into
/usr/local/etc/rc.d, and you can enable them by adding the appropriate
xxx_enable=yes line to /etc/rc.conf.  You can look at the startup
script to see what keyword it uses.

> I wouldn't have known what to add to rc.conf if you
> didn't mention it.
>
> Did I do do something wrong or is there a way to make
> FreeBSD packages like this do more configuration such
> as automatic server/start enabling etc...

It's documented in the Handbook at

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-starting-services.html

--
	Dan Nelson