Recompiled freebsd 5.4 cannot boot up with geom_mirror

Ng Pek Yong npekyong28 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 9 19:06:13 PDT 2005

--- Christian Hiris <4711 at chello.at> wrote:

> On Friday 09 September 2005 17:04:17, Ng Pek Yong
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having some problem with geom_mirror on a
> freebsd
> > 5.4.
> >
> > I followed the steps described in
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/
> > and got geom_mirror up on a stock freebsd 5.4,
> > including / partition itself.
> >
> > The problem came when I compiled the kernel. After
> > pulling in the latest source tree, compiling and
> > installing the new kernel, I find that the OS can
> no
> > longer bootup.
> >
> > I did with 2 kernel configurations. The 1st is
> > completely identical to the stock kernel config.
> The
> > 2nd has an extra  line "options GEOM_MIRROR".
> > Both failed to boot up although the errors are
> > different.
>
> You don't need "options GEOM_MIRROR" in your
> kernelconfig to run gmirror.
>
> > 1st config
> > ----------
> > The boot process got stucked when it tries to
> mount /
> > The error message is something like this
> >         Mount root from ufs:/dev/mirror/gm0s1a
> >         setrootbyname failed
> >         ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> >         Root mount failed: 6
>
> Maybe there is a typo in your /etc/fstab. Enter a
> "?" here to get a list of
> all your geom devices. Then try to mount / from the
> correct device by
> entering "ufs:mirror/your_root_device" at the
> "mountroot>" prompt.

I can boot up with kernel.old without problem, so
there is no typo.

Anyway, I tried your method and list the devices. I
get something like

  List of GEOM managed disk devices:
    ad1s1f..ad1s1a ad0s1f..ad0s1a acd0 ad1s1 ad0s1 ad1
ad0 fd0

Obviously something is wrong here. I am supposed to
get  devices that look like 'gm0s1a' etc

Let me emphasize again. I haven't modified anything to
the kernel, not even the kernel options. How could it
be so wrong then?