Recompiled freebsd 5.4 cannot boot up with geom_mirror

Christian Hiris 4711 at chello.at
Fri Sep 9 18:12:20 PDT 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 17:04:17, Ng Pek Yong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am having some problem with geom_mirror on a freebsd
> 5.4.
>
> I followed the steps described in
> http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/
> and got geom_mirror up on a stock freebsd 5.4,
> including / partition itself.
>
> The problem came when I compiled the kernel. After
> pulling in the latest source tree, compiling and
> installing the new kernel, I find that the OS can no
> longer bootup.
>
> I did with 2 kernel configurations. The 1st is
> completely identical to the stock kernel config. The
> 2nd has an extra  line "options GEOM_MIRROR".
> Both failed to boot up although the errors are
> different.

You don't need "options GEOM_MIRROR" in your kernelconfig to run gmirror.

> 1st config
> ----------
> The boot process got stucked when it tries to mount /
> The error message is something like this
>         Mount root from ufs:/dev/mirror/gm0s1a
>         setrootbyname failed
>         ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
>         Root mount failed: 6

Maybe there is a typo in your /etc/fstab. Enter a "?" here to get a list of
all your geom devices. Then try to mount / from the correct device by
entering "ufs:mirror/your_root_device" at the "mountroot>" prompt.

[...]

Cheers,
ch

--