php compile options

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Sep 9 11:15:24 PDT 2005

Vizion wrote:

>Hi
>
>Some compile configuration questions:
>
>1. When php5 is compiled from ports I understand a file is generated to hold
>the compiled options. On my system there is a file with the following data:
>
>dns1# cat /var/db/ports/php5/options
># This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
># No user-servicable parts inside!
># Options for php5-5.0.5
>_OPTIONS_READ=php5-5.0.5
>WITH_APACHE2=true
>WITHOUT_DEBUG=true
>WITH_MULTIBYTE=true
>WITH_IPV6=true
>
>Am I correct in saying that the options from this file are read by the
>compiler at compile time?

I'm willing to be corrected, but AFAIK the answer is "yes, you are correct".

>If not this file which file?
>
>2. Options expressed on the command line for php are normally in lower case.
>If I place them in this file should they be capitalized or does that not
>matter to the compiler?

You should not do anything to this file, which is why it says "no user-
servicable parts inside!"

If you wish to change the options use the "make config" (or "make
reconfig", if available) target in the ports's directory (in this case,
/usr/ports/lang/php5?)  The ports system handles all this stuff
automagically, and this is why we use and recommend it.

For you to do everything by hand kinda makes
the great work of ale@ become redundant; of course,
it's your choice, but why make it harder than it is?

>3. Is there a complete list of options with the distribution?

Every important option should be presented via the ncurses interface
used by "make config".  There may be other, little known options; for
these, I'd recommend searching php.net first, and then asking at
a PHP forum or mailing list; but if they were very useful, very common,
whatever, then they'd already be taken care of by the port maintainer.
IMHO, he does a great job with PHP.

Note that in the case of PHP, these four options are the only ones
available.  Support for the PHP "extensions" is available by installing
the seperate PHP extensions port; see /usr/ports/UPDATING, entry
from last summer, IIRC.

Kevin Kinsey