php compile options

Vizion vizion at vizion.occoxmail.com
Fri Sep 9 11:50:28 PDT 2005

On Friday 09 September 2005 11:13,  the author Kevin Kinsey contributed to the
dialogue on-
 Re: php compile options:

>Vizion wrote:
>>Hi
>>
>>Some compile configuration questions:
>>
>>1. When php5 is compiled from ports I understand a file is generated to
>> hold the compiled options. On my system there is a file with the following
>> data:
>>
>>dns1# cat /var/db/ports/php5/options
>># This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
>># No user-servicable parts inside!
>># Options for php5-5.0.5
>>_OPTIONS_READ=php5-5.0.5
>>WITH_APACHE2=true
>>WITHOUT_DEBUG=true
>>WITH_MULTIBYTE=true
>>WITH_IPV6=true
>>
>>Am I correct in saying that the options from this file are read by the
>>compiler at compile time?
>
>I'm willing to be corrected, but AFAIK the answer is "yes, you are correct".
>
>>If not this file which file?
>>
>>2. Options expressed on the command line for php are normally in lower
>> case. If I place them in this file should they be capitalized or does that
>> not matter to the compiler?
>
>You should not do anything to this file, which is why it says "no user-
>servicable parts inside!"
>
>If you wish to change the options use the "make config" (or "make
>reconfig", if available) target in the ports's directory (in this case,
>/usr/ports/lang/php5?)  The ports system handles all this stuff
>automagically, and this is why we use and recommend it.
>
>For you to do everything by hand kinda makes
>the great work of ale@ become redundant; of course,
>it's your choice, but why make it harder than it is?
>
>>3. Is there a complete list of options with the distribution?
>
>Every important option should be presented via the ncurses interface
>used by "make config".
I do wish thiss kind of info was documented, for every port  in
Port_Install.readme or something similar- I have spent ages trying to get to
bottom of how to deal with this!

Different ports require different knowledge as to how they should be
installed!

Ah well -- live and learn I gues -- but once someone has learnt can we not
have a siomple means of passing the learning on without wasting the time of
every learner!!

>There may be other, little known options; for
>these, I'd recommend searching php.net first, and then asking at
>a PHP forum or mailing list; but if they were very useful, very common,
>whatever, then they'd already be taken care of by the port maintainer.
>IMHO, he does a great job with PHP.
>
>Note that in the case of PHP, these four options are the only ones
>available.  Support for the PHP "extensions" is available by installing
>the seperate PHP extensions port; see /usr/ports/UPDATING, entry
>from last summer, IIRC.
>
>Kevin Kinsey

 Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing bound for Europe via Panama Canal after
completing engineroom refit.