hi list

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Fri Sep 9 02:08:26 PDT 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chezangla, Engineer, DrukNet" <chezang at druknet.bt>
To: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2005 7:23 PM
Subject: hi list

> Can anyone give me the detail steps for installing and configuring mysql
> server on freebsd.........
>
> I have installed mysql from ports but some how could not start the mysql
> daemon........installation might be wrong .....so can anyone who did the
> same give me some suggestions plez......
>
> FreeBSD5.1
> mysql40-server
cd /usr/ports/databases/mysql40-server
make install clean
{Wait}
At some point the process may tell you to edit your rc.conf to add the item
(I'm using mysql41-server so it might be different):
  mysql_enable="Yes"

Then you can try starting it up with:
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh start

The startup script might notice something is missing and go in and create
the databases needed.

If all goes well you should be able to do:
 mysql

One of three things may happen:
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
'/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
  That means mysql didn't startup

- OR -

ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: NO)
  That means you didn't tell mysql (the command from -- If all goes well you
should... -- section) to prompt for a password so you can get in. If you
don't know the password for the root account then you can head over to the
mysql web site and find out how to start mysql daemon without checking
priviliges. Also review user accounts and how they work.

No errors and you are in mysql and ready to go.

It's not much, but hope it helps.

Mr. Anderson

~Sir, put the mouse down and step away from the computer~