nForce4-SLI, AHCI and NCQ and FreeBSD 6.0

O. Hartmann ohartman at mail.uni-mainz.de
Thu Sep 8 04:51:32 PDT 2005

Hello.
Are you really sure the onboard Sil SATA controller supports SATA II?
When I studied the handbook of both motherboards, the A8N-SLI Deluxe and
A8N-SLI Premium I found both motherboards are idetically equipted with
the *not* SATA II capable SilI3114 SATA controller. By the way, as I
know, the second SATA controller is attached via the PCI32 bus, not via
PCIe! That means (in my opinion) there is no benefit using this
controller. It is more a marketing GAG than a serious add-on.

RAID5 performance of ICH7R and SilI is said to be very, very poor (about
10 MB/s read/write performance), so what benefit I do have using this
controller with it's senseless 'capabilities' and non-PCIe attachment?

This is only a thought based on my personal available informations and
maybe wrong ...

Oliver