[OT] Life expectancy of powered down hard drives....

Norberto Meijome numard at meijome.net
Tue Sep 6 06:36:58 PDT 2005

hi all,
I know this doesn't relate to FBSD per se, but I figured i'd try to pick
your brains :)

I read somewhere (sorry, cant remember where) that hard drives fail if
not powered up every so often (not sure of time frames, but the
discussion was about tapes still being better for backups than hard
drives if planning for long term storage). It was also mentioned a
"knock on the centre of the drive" to bring it back to life (??).

How much truth is in this? I have EIDE drives that I havent used in
years and I just tested them and they work fine...but again, I've had an
instance of a new drive, used twice to backup some info and then left
untouched for 10 months, and it wouldn't even spin up...

Does this affect SCSI drives? I suppose it would be more likely to
affect desktop-quality IDE / SATA drives...

Any insights will be much appreciated.

Best regards,
Beto