IPFW counters.

Glenn Dawson glenn at antimatter.net
Tue Sep 6 08:59:17 PDT 2005

At 05:54 AM 9/6/2005, Grant Peel wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I am in the midst of setting up bandwidth monitoring for all my
>domains and IPs. To do this I will be using IPFW counter rules and ipa.
>
>Question: I have about 250 domains on each box. to monitor all of
>them, I would need to set up over 500 counter rules, how well will
>ipfw and freebsd 4.10 and up) handle this?

I tried something like that a while back and while I could create the
rules just fine, it proved to be very impractical with the amount of
traffic I was dealing with. (around 20Mbits/sec)

I ended up using netgraph and ng_netflow(4) to export the data to
another machine that processed all the data.

-Glenn