compiling chrooted kernel makes drive unbootable

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 12:51:06 PST 2005

On 10/30/05, Dave <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     Thanks for your reply. I've not lost any data yet doing a reinstall
> would not be possible at this point. It's a matter of time which i don't
> have a lot of.
>     As i said i've not lost data, on the drive, just the motherboard died, i
> think it overheated. The board that went was a pentium i think 2 or 3 600
> mhz, the new system is a p4 2.4 ghz, both intel not one being amd they're
> both the same processor make. I thought i could just put the new board in,
> plug everything in, and go, i got an error that the processor type wasn't
> supported,

What was that error? P4's features are a strict superset to
those of P2 or P3. This error might have to do with something
completely different like faulty hardware or damaged data.

It was unnecessary to chroot, I think. Try the DESTDIR option:

cd /usr/src && make world DESTDIR=/path/to/mnt
cd /usr/src && make kernel DESTDIR=/path/to/mnt
mergemaster -D /path/to/mnt

You'll also need to set the disk active. Try something
like "fdisk -a /dev/ad1", but I'm not experienced in this
wizardry.