Buildworld and Security advisories.

Grigory O. Ptashko trancer at bk.ru
Sun Oct 30 13:33:56 PST 2005

Hello, list.

I am new to FreeBSD source upgrading/patching source tree system.
After reading the following chapters from the handbook:

14.14 FreeBSD Security Advisories
20 The Cutting Edge (about rebuilding "world")

I have some questions.

1) If I install a FreeBSD RELEASE on a machine what do I have to do to
patch all those bugs listed in FreeBSD Security Advisories?
Is it enough to synchronize my source tree with the STABLE branch or
do I have to get all patches and apply them manualy?
And if I must patch the source tree manualy do I have to do this after
synchronizing the source tree with STABLE or before? Or it doesn't
matter?

In two words what are the relations between patching the bugs listed in
Advisories and the process of synchronizing the source tree of the
RELEASE with the STABLE?

2) How often should I synchronize sources with the STABLE?

Currently I am working with 4.11 RELEASE.

Thanks!