Installation problem with Freebsd 5.4

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Tue Oct 25 10:00:27 PDT 2005

Jayesh Jayan wrote:
> If i install FreeBSD on to a HDD with a good machine where i have already
> installed freebsd before and then move the HDD to that machine.
>
> Will it work ??

Yes, probably, that's definitely a decent idea and worth a try.

> This is what happens when I try to install freebsd on the machine
>
> I can go till the step of Choosing distribution
>
> After I choose the distribution it starts the installation
>
> it shows transffering ...... in a blue screen with a progress bar.
>
> it then transfers 32 of 33 chunks
>
> and then it comes up with the error mentioned before.

Sometimes this is simply a problem with the CD being dirty or not being read
correctly.

This might also indicate your hardware is a little flaky.  The AMD Athlons are
  fine processors, but the earlier AMD K6 and Cyrix CPUs are a bit less
reliable and some contained interesting hardware flaws (like with the L2 cache).

--
-Chuck