problems with cd/dvd-device

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Oct 25 07:54:07 PDT 2005

On 2005-10-25 16:33, Linnea Forslund <supermoccine at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Music encoded as .mp3 sits on a data CD (usually CD-ROM mode 1), and
> > should be mounted first. See above.
> >
> > Regular music CDs are written in different format (CD-DA). You do not
> > have to mount these.
>
> Where should I look when I want to open files from xmms, mixxx or some
> other program? Files from music-cds and data-cds..

Data CD-ROMs have to be mounted before you access the files stored in a
track of the CD-ROM.  So, you'd have to use something like this to
access the mp3 files in a data CD-ROM:

	# mount_cd9660 -o ro /dev/acd0 /cdrom

Audio CD-ROMs can be controlled with cdcontrol(1):

	# cdcontrol -f /dev/acd0 play 1

More details about data and audio CD-ROMs are described in the Handbook,
so you really *have* to look at the relevant section:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html

Regards,
Giorgos