problems with cd/dvd-device

Linnea Forslund supermoccine at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 07:33:02 PDT 2005

On 10/25/05, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 03:48:59PM +0200, Linnea Forslund wrote:
> <snip>
> > > Check that CD devices are actually there, with "ls /dev/*cd*". On my
> > > system this returns: "/dev/cd0 /dev/cd1" but that's because I use SCSI
> > > emulation. A system with a GENERIC kernel would probably show /dev/acd0.
> >
> > A whole bunch shows up:
> >
> > > ls /dev/*cd*
> > /dev/acd0       /dev/acd0t03    /dev/acd0t06    /dev/acd0t09    /dev/acd0t12
> > /dev/acd0t01    /dev/acd0t04    /dev/acd0t07    /dev/acd0t10    /dev/acd0t13
> > /dev/acd0t02    /dev/acd0t05    /dev/acd0t08    /dev/acd0t11
>
> Try using /dev/acd0. If you run the following command as root, does it
> work? (there should be a data CD in the drive btw, not a music CD)
>
> mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom

The first cd I tried was a music-cd with a data part. It said this:

supermoccine# mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom
cd9660: /dev/acd0: Invalid argument

The second one was a data cd. It said this:

supermoccine# mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /cdrom
supermoccine#

and the machine started buzzing a little. but this last one was with a
movie-file. I couldn't find any with mp3's...

> > > Playing music is very different from mounting, so that's perfectly normal.
> > >

> > So what should I do to play musicfiles from cd? .mp3, .sid and so on..
>
> Music encoded as .mp3 sits on a data CD (usually CD-ROM mode 1), and
> should be mounted first. See above.
>
> Regular music CDs are written in different format (CD-DA). You do not
> have to mount these.

Where should I look when I want to open files from xmms, mixxx or some
other program? Files from music-cds and data-cds..

--
/Linnea