cvsup, mirrors and data integrity

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 13:51:35 PDT 2005

On 10/23/05, Dimitar Vasilev <dimitar.vassilev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I don't like the style of djb, sorry.
>
> I know, but his tools work and are great for such things.
> There have been occasions on which the bgp "blinks"/ntpd decides to go play
> and after a while the box goes disfunct and I have to start/stop manually.

I guess that's why we let cisco handle bgp (and ntp,
by the way).

> > The box has 1 ide and 4 scsi disks. But I had to
> > remove scsi cables and can't find a replacement
> > at the moment, so it's on ide for now.
> >
> > Squid is also on the server. So I guess, when
> > scsi disks are back online, I'll dedicate 2 to
> > squid, and 2 in a vinum mirroring array with
> > softupdates disabled for more important
> > things, like cvs repos, distfiles, etc.
> >

> Try setting up a md through which to buffer the read/write operations for cvsupd
> For CVS there is a hint in the hubs article
> /dev/da0s1b /anoncvstmp mfs
> rw,-s=786432,-b=4096,-f=512,-i=560,-c=3,-m=0,nosuid,nodev 0 0
>
> /etc/inetd.conf
> cvspserver stream tcp nowait root /usr/bin/cvs cvs -f -l -R -T
> /anoncvstmp --allow-root=/home/ncvs pserver
>
> I suppose if you play a bit, you can come with a similar solution for CVSUP.
>
> Btw, have you extended an existing stripe with growfs?
>
> I have to extend my stripe on which ftp+rsync repo lies with 0,5TB and
> would like to preserve data if possible.
> All the best
> --
> Димитър Василев
> Dimitar Vassilev
>
> GnuPG key ID: 0x4B8DB525
> Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
> Key fingerprint: D88A 3B92 DED5 917E 341E D62F 8C51 5FC4 4B8D B525

It doesn't really seem that disk performance is a
bottle-neck. CPU is saturated much more quickly.
It's a dual P3 box, 5-6 cvsup sessions with
compression turned on is as much as it is gonna
take without major slowdowns. I guess there's
no way to make a new IDE disk lag behind over
a 100Mbit link.

But I'm thinking about gigabit - and cvs instead of
cvsup. That's where your recommendations will
come into play.

No, I haven't been growing any stripes in my
garden lately :-)

Thanks,
Andrew P.