dovecot can not find mailbox

Peter A. Giessel pgiessel at mac.com
Thu Oct 20 06:56:09 PDT 2005

As Greg Lehey always writes:

Also, please CC the list, I'm not an expert by any means, so others
may be able to help when I can't and others may benefit from the
discussion.

Dave wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter A. Giessel"
> <peter_giessel at dot.state.ak.us>
> To: "Dave" <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com>
> Cc: "freeBSD" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
>

>> On 10/19/2005 16:07, Dave seems to have typed:
>>
>>> i edited my dovecot.conf file and changed the mail_env option,
>>> uncommented it and made it %h/%u/Maildir
>>> and no good. Any suggestions?
>>

>    Thanks, yes i am running 1.0. I uninstalled 0.99 and reinstalled
> 1.0so i don't believe i'm having an upgrade issue. If you've got a
> working dovecot.conf file that uses maildir can i see it? Something in
> mine is clearly not right. I checked the page you referenced it didn't
> tell me anything beyound what i already knew.

I'd recheck the variables that you are using because I believe the
correct variable isn't "mail_env", its "default_mail_env"

>From the version 1.0.x config file:
*** QUOTE ***
# See doc/variables.txt for full list. Some examples:
#
#   default_mail_env = maildir:/var/mail/%1u/%u/Maildir
#   default_mail_env = mbox:~/mail/:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
#   default_mail_env = mbox:/var/mail/%d/%n/:INDEX=/var/indexes/%d/%n
*** END QUOTE ***

I *STRONGLY* recommend that you start by recopying from the .conf.sample.

Here is my working dovecot.conf file:
*** QUOTE ***
[/usr/local/etc]> more dovecot.conf | grep -v "#"
base_dir = /var/run/dovecot/
protocols = imaps imap pop3s
ssl_disable = no
ssl_cert_file = /etc/certs/ssl.crt
ssl_key_file = /etc/certs/ssl.key
ssl_parameters_file = /var/run/dovecot/ssl-parameters.dat
ssl_parameters_regenerate = 0
disable_plaintext_auth = yes
log_path = /var/log/dovecot
info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot_info
login_dir = /var/run/dovecot/login
login_user = dovecot
login_process_per_connection = yes
login_processes_count = 3
login_max_processes_count = 64
login_max_logging_users = 128
login_greeting = Dovecot ready.
verbose_proctitle = no
first_valid_uid = 500
last_valid_uid = 0
first_valid_gid = 1
last_valid_gid = 0
mail_extra_groups = mail
valid_chroot_dirs = /var/mail
default_mail_env = maildir:/usr/mail/%n
maildir_copy_with_hardlinks = yes
protocol imap {
  mail_executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
  imap_client_workarounds = delay-newmail outlook-idle netscape-eoh tb-extra-mailbox-sep
}
protocol pop3 {
  mail_executable = /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3
  pop3_uidl_format = %08Xu%08Xv
  pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
}
auth_username_chars = abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ01234567890.-_@
auth default {
  mechanisms = plain
  passdb sql {
    args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
  }
  userdb sql {
    args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot-mysql.conf
  }
  user = root
}
*** END QUOTE ***

[Blank lines removed.]

My goal was to create completely database powered SSL authenticated
system, and it pretty much worked.  I needed an unsecured imap server
running so that Sendmail could use it for authentication for sending
mail (username and password are required for relaying, which are
transmitted to the server via SSL, but the query from Sendmail to
dovecot to check credentials - localhost:143 isn't encrypted.

Anyway, mail users don't have a home (login) directory, just a mail
directory which is why my maildir is a bit odd.

Hope that helps.