A simple ports question...

makisupa bsd.makisupa at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 20 07:26:32 PDT 2005

How would you install a port that had dependencies that were older than
identical items on your system?

For example, you install portx that requires depend1.1 -- you have
depend1.2 on your system.  Running 'make install clean' will generate an
error code stating that you have an OLDER version -- despite the fact
that you actually have a newer version.  I believe this is simply
because version numbers don't match.  'FORCE_PACKAGE_REGISTER' will
install and register the older version as well as the newer version.
THis is less than desirable behavior.  I looked through the ports man
page to find a variable that would ignore dependencies.  If such a
variable exists would the port most likely still run (assuming all
dependencies are present albeit newer versions)?

Thanks,
Mak.