Multiple CPUs without SMP

Andrew P. infofarmer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 04:15:40 PDT 2005

I'm kinda confused.

Can I use both processors with a non-SMP kernel? I
don't need SMP, I would settle on manually assigning
CPU affinity to each processor, but I gather FreeBSD
can only handle 2+ CPUs with SMP enabled.

On a 5.4 box without SMP mptables show both CPUs
though:

<...>
MP Config Base Table Entries:
--
Processors:     APIC ID Version State           Family  Model   Step    Flags
                 0       0x11    BSP, usable     6       11      1

dmesg.boot says only cpu0 is found, top doesn't see
the other one, too.