Multiple CPUs without SMP

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 20 05:55:09 PDT 2005

On Thursday, 20 October 2005 at 15:15:39 +0400, Andrew P. wrote:
> I'm kinda confused.

Yes, that's possible.

> Can I use both processors with a non-SMP kernel?

No.

> I don't need SMP, I would settle on manually assigning CPU affinity
> to each processor, but I gather FreeBSD can only handle 2+ CPUs with
> SMP enabled.

I'm wondering if you have misunderstood the purpose of SMP
(symmetrical multiprocessors).  That's the architecture of the
motherboard.  If you want to use the second processor, you're
effectively saying that you want to use SMP.  An SMP kernel is one
that supports them.

Possibly you're considering using each processor for different
purposes.  That's conceivable, but FreeBSD doesn't support it.

Greg