Installing 2nd CPU on SMP board

Olivier Nicole on at cs.ait.ac.th
Wed Oct 19 19:01:27 PDT 2005

> Well, I have dmesg output and the output from dmidecode.  I may be dense
> but I don't see the sSpec number in the output.  Can it be derived from
> these data?

from what I understand you get the sSpec number from

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2793.01-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf34  Stepping = 4
                           ^^^^^^^^^^
 Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

use that figure to lookup in Intel chart like
http://download.intel.com/design/Xeon/specupdt/30240216.pdf and using
that f34 and the speed you should find the sSpec in the left most
column.

Another sure way is to take the CPU from the socket. On the side with
the pins you have 3 printed lines, sSpec number is the first word of
the middle line.

Now that I am considering upgradding 2 machines, I seriously think
about buying a pair of matching Xeon for each board as it has been
suggested earlier. But at same time I had my hardware vendor try to
sortout the problem for me with Intel (1 year old CPU, not
manufactured any more).

Olivier