Installing 2nd CPU on SMP board

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Wed Oct 19 17:48:37 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 12:15:26AM +0200, martin hudec wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 03:44:46PM -0500 or thereabouts, Doug Poland wrote:
> > I've inherited an SMP machine for which I've no documentation and
> > don't have convenient access to the hardware itself.  The computer
> > has a single Xeon 2.8GHz CPU and I'd like to purchase another CPU.
> > Question is, can I simply match another Xeon of the same speed and
> > expect it to work?  If I need more info, will dmesg(8) tell me what
> > I need to know?
>
>   well best for you will be to find information about your current CPU
>   which is in place, by using sysutils/dmidecode port which will tell
>   you what kind of CPU (frequency, L2 cache etc.) you have.

Well, I have dmesg output and the output from dmidecode.  I may be dense
but I don't see the sSpec number in the output.  Can it be derived from
these data?

dmesg:
CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz (2793.01-MHz 686-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0xf34  Stepping = 4
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>

dmidecode:
Handle 0x0004
	DMI type 4, 35 bytes.
	Processor Information
		Socket Designation: CPU 1
		Type: Central Processor
		Family: Xeon
		Manufacturer: Intel
		ID: 34 0F 00 00 FF FB EB BF
		Signature: Type 0, Family 15, Model 3, Stepping 4
		Flags:
			FPU (Floating-point unit on-chip)
			VME (Virtual mode extension)
			DE (Debugging extension)
			PSE (Page size extension)
			TSC (Time stamp counter)
			MSR (Model specific registers)
			PAE (Physical address extension)
			MCE (Machine check exception)
			CX8 (CMPXCHG8 instruction supported)
			APIC (On-chip APIC hardware supported)
			SEP (Fast system call)
			MTRR (Memory type range registers)
			PGE (Page global enable)
			MCA (Machine check architecture)
			CMOV (Conditional move instruction supported)
			PAT (Page attribute table)
			PSE-36 (36-bit page size extension)
			CLFSH (CLFLUSH instruction supported)
			DS (Debug store)
			ACPI (ACPI supported)
			MMX (MMX technology supported)
			FXSR (Fast floating-point save and restore)
			SSE (Streaming SIMD extensions)
			SSE2 (Streaming SIMD extensions 2)
			SS (Self-snoop)
			HTT (Hyper-threading technology)