Samba File Transfer Causes Lockup

Brian Watt mvrpbrian at gmail.com
Sat Oct 15 08:19:50 PDT 2005

Hello,

This is my first post to the mailing list, I'll try not to do too many
annoying things :-)

I'm having an issue when transferring large files (~350 MB) from a Windows
XP machine to a Samba share on a FreeBSD server. The transfer starts fine
and then after a few minutes, Windows shows that the transfer has only gone
about 50% and the BSD box is locked up completely - I can't input anything
directly from the console. However, after rebooting the BSD machine, I find
that the file has transferred successfully in it's entirety. I don't have
any problems with the disk otherwise, as far as day to day Samba use.
This is just a small home network - no other users were using any resources
at the time.

The machine has two disks, ad0 for the OS and ad1 for /export

Here is the error message that I see at the console when the machine is
locked up:
ad1: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA 7550143

Some other services running on the BSD box are squid, privoxy, and named.

uname output:
FreeBSD turpin 5.4-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE #0: Sun May 8 10:21:06 UTC
2005 root at harlow.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386

samba-3.0.14a_1,1

xl0: <3Com 3c905B-TX Fast Etherlink XL>

Thank you for any input.