how to unlimit 'data seg size'?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Wed Oct 12 18:30:38 PDT 2005

On 2005-10-13 02:13, Soo-Hyun Choi <shchoi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if I type 'unlimit -a', then I can see the followings.
> How do I set 'data seg size' as 'unlimited'?

> ----------------------
> core file size        (blocks, -c) unlimited
> data seg size         (kbytes, -d) 524288
> [...]

The maximum data segment size is upper-bound by the value of the
internal kernel variable maxdsiz.  The value of maxdsiz depends on the
architecture of the machine you are running FreeBSD on.  The defaults
are usually fine, but if you *really* need to up this a bit, you can set
kern.maxdsiz in your boot loader configuration.  The kernel will respect
any value you set in this way.

Please note that while ulimit -a reports the maximum data segment size
in KB, the value of kern.maxdsiz is in bytes, so you'd have to use
something like:

	echo 'kern.maxdsiz="600000000"' >> /boot/loader.conf

Regards,

Giorgos