sendmail not starting at boot

Annelise Anderson andrsn at andrsn.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 6 17:00:38 PDT 2005

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, Chuck Swiger wrote:

> Annelise Anderson wrote:
>> On 5.4-STABLE as of October 1, sendmail doesn't start on reboot.
>> I have to either do it by hand or run sh rc.sendmail (which does
>> start it).  There's no sendmail.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
>
> Sendmail is part of the FreeBSD base system by default, and not something in
> /usr/local.  You should have a /etc/rc.d/sendmail RC script...

Interesting, it was blank except for the first line.  My failure to do
anything but mergemaster -p.

>> The rc.conf has sendmail_enable="YES" and I even changed this
>> in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
>
> Don't change /etc/defaults/rc.conf.  Change /etc/rc.conf only.
>
>> I supposed I could clip some of rc.sendmail and put in in a
>> sendmail.sh file for /usr/local/etc/rc.d, but perhaps something
>> more obvious is wrong.  I want sendmail to be not only a
>> local mta but to be the incoming and outgoing server.
>
> OK.  Setting:
>
> sendmail_enable="YES"
>
> ...ought to do the trick, so something else is going on.
>

> Have you checked /var/log/messages and /var/log/maillog?
> Is your hostname set to a valid FQDN?
> Is local DNS working properly on that machine?
>
> Have you copied /etc/mail/freebsd.mc to /etc/mail/host.example.com.mc,
> editting that file if and as needed, and doing a "make all" in /etc/mail?
> See /etc/mail/README.

Thank you for this and my apologies for a second copy of this message,
which also went to the list after I added a smart relay host (nothing
was going out beyond the stanford.edu domain, which I guess is
something Stanford imposes).

 		Annelise