sendmail not starting at boot

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Oct 5 23:23:44 PDT 2005

Annelise Anderson wrote:
> On 5.4-STABLE as of October 1, sendmail doesn't start on reboot.
> I have to either do it by hand or run sh rc.sendmail (which does
> start it).  There's no sendmail.sh in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.

Sendmail is part of the FreeBSD base system by default, and not something in
/usr/local.  You should have a /etc/rc.d/sendmail RC script...

> The rc.conf has sendmail_enable="YES" and I even changed this
> in /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

Don't change /etc/defaults/rc.conf.  Change /etc/rc.conf only.

> I supposed I could clip some of rc.sendmail and put in in a
> sendmail.sh file for /usr/local/etc/rc.d, but perhaps something
> more obvious is wrong.  I want sendmail to be not only a
> local mta but to be the incoming and outgoing server.

OK.  Setting:

sendmail_enable="YES"

...ought to do the trick, so something else is going on.

Have you checked /var/log/messages and /var/log/maillog?
Is your hostname set to a valid FQDN?
Is local DNS working properly on that machine?

Have you copied /etc/mail/freebsd.mc to /etc/mail/host.example.com.mc, editting
that file if and as needed, and doing a "make all" in /etc/mail?  See
/etc/mail/README.

--
-Chuck