burning multisession cd's and bootable windows isos

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Oct 6 10:29:51 PDT 2005

"Dave" <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> writes:

>     Thanks for your reply. I will give your crib sheet a go and if it
> is as good as it sounds i will like it! Do you have any other info
> along those lines, not necessarily on that subject but fast tips like
> that? If so i'd be interested.

The official FreeBSD documentation is excellent, and includes a
section (in the FreeBSD Handbook) on how to duplicate a CD-ROM.

http://be-well.ilk.org/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/creating-cds.html#IMAGING-CD

My crib sheet was really only for my own use, so it assumes my shell.
csh-type shells would need slightly different syntax.

I have some other tricks of my own, on my web site at
 < http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/systuff/ >

>     When you say grab all the tracks do you mean use dd when burning?

I did mean that.  But I'm not sure it's necessary; using the raw disk
device *should* get all of the data on the disk.

> Currently i use windows copy to get everything, i've got hidden files
> and os files turned on so i get all the files, i have never tried it

For a bootable CD, getting all of the files isn't enough.  Some of the
data you need isn't in a file on the CD filesystem.

> using unix for the copy, then hooking up to the share crossnetwork,
> doing the work, and then burning, do you know anyone who has done
> this, i'd like not to make a deaddisk if i can help it.

I recommend using CD-RW disks when experimenting, and then you don't
worry about wasting the burn.  Or just buy enough super-cheapie blanks
that you don't worry about wasting them.

Good luck.