Darn that eu_ES.ISO8859-1/LC_MESSAGES

K Anderson freebsduser at comcast.net
Wed Oct 5 11:55:08 PDT 2005

Hey folks,

Although I found a fix for my issue, I thought I would post my experience so
here it goes.

I've got a annoying problem here. Everytime I make the world (using the
instrctions at FreeBSD.org) I get Errcode 71s and Error Code 1s.

Error code 71 happens at

install: /usr/share/locale/eu_ES.ISO8859-1/LC_MESSAGES: No such file or
directory
It first starts with /usr/src/share/msgdef
 I then go in to the Makefile and remove the offending target of
eu_ES.ISO8859-1

I looked in /usr/share/locale and there isn't a (dir) for the above locale
but there is a link of that name that points to something else but I can't
CD in to it (It says it's not a directory) and it's right it's not a
directory. But it exists as a file (I'm thinking about deleting it next time
I rebuild the world to see if something kicks it back in to place but I'll
save that for later).

The processes I followed were

make buildworld
make kernel KERNCONF=MSMOUSE-IIVi
make installkernel KERNCONF=MSMOUSE-IIVi
reboot

mergemaster -p
make installworld

edit offending Makefile by removing any reference to eu_ES.ISO8859-1
(usually at the top of the Makefile)

make installworld

Note - I'm currently remaking after the first edit and I noticed in there a
message that said something like eu_ES.ISO8859-1 expected (dir) found link.

and repeat edit offending Makefile and make installworld until the errors go
away.
 editting /usr/src/share/numericcdef Makefile now. Bah, forget it I'm going
to rename the links to the eu_ES-thingy and see if it corrects itself.
 renaming errant links
 ran mergemaster -p
 running make installworld
 No errors. Yay!

Should I even submit a pr on this?

Seems I found the fix. Delete the darn links (or at least rename them to
something else just to test the theory, then delete if proved).

~Mr. Anderson