Regarding "whi"

Mike Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 21:49:55 GMT 2005

On  Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 09:39:19PM +0000, Uncle Deejy-Pooh wrote:
>  I may be guilty of mis-reading this, but the thought of downloading @
> compiling anything of any complexity fills me with horror !?!? By the time
> KDE is ready to use, you'd have lost the will to live !

It's not so bad on a recent machine... I installed 6.0, then rebuilt it all
so it would be compiled with -O2 -march=pentium4. Installed all my apps
from the ports tree. Didn't take too long really. It was actually really
fast, imho. But then again I've spent a few years building linuxfromscratch
which is a long long long process if you actually read through the text of
the book and copy & paste the commands by hand. Building FreeBSD turned out
to be so easy it felt like I was cheating :) Oh and it just WORKS when it's
done, which is a plus.

Mike

PS though there are fundamental differences between bsd and linux, and you
may also harbor some penguin hate...

I suggest you try lfs at least once if you want to see how the gnu tools and
stuff work together. It's actually quite interesting.