Which firewall?

ke.han ke.han at redstarling.com
Thu Nov 17 13:10:48 GMT 2005

Sasa Stupar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am about to set up a router with FBSD 5.4 for SOHO network. There will
> be no servers running, only inet access for the users but I'd like to
> make traffic limitation for users (download and upload). Which firewall
> of the three one explained in the handbook do you recommend?

I think you are asking about whether to use ipfilter, pf or fw.
It is my understanding that by choosing pf (openbsd origination) you now
get altq bundled with it for traffic shaping.  This is the solution I
have chosen to fbsd 5.4 and 6.0 solutions.
The others are supposedly good general purpose firewalls but it seems
that choosing pf + atlq you get the best go forward solution.
good luck, ke han