Secure File Copy

Mario Hoerich lists at MHoerich.de
Tue Nov 15 14:19:35 GMT 2005

# Joshua Lewis:
> I have a FreeBSD 5.4 system and I have no way to back up the data. I don't
> have a burner and I can't get one anytime soon. I do however have a burner
> on my wifes G4 laptop. I have enabled SSH on the FreeBSD system and I can
> SSH into the box from the Mac, However I do not know how to copy the files I
> need to back up from the FreeBSD system to the Mac.

With scp.  From your mac type:

    $ scp -r user at BSD.machine:/remote/path /local/path

which copies the directory /remote/path on the BSD machine to
/local/path on the mac.  There are also graphical frontends
for this, e.g. Fugu <URL:http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/>.

If you need to do this frequently (and your wife doesn't mind
keeping your files on her book) it's probably better to use rsync,
i.e.
    $ rsync -vatz --delete user at BSD.machine:/remote/path /local/path

(see the man page for details).

 HTH,
Mario