6.0 install problems in HP DL380 Array 5i

Miguel mmiranda at 123.com.sv
Wed Nov 9 21:16:50 GMT 2005

Hi, im having some problems when installing freebsd 6.0 in a DL380 with
smart array 5i controller, i have a RAID 1 using two 36G disks,
i can create the slide and partition without problems, when sysinstall
is installing the doc part, this messages suddently appear in screen:

Write failure on transfer ! (Wrote -1 bytes of 1425408 bytes), after
pressing the ok button, this appears:

Unable to transfer the doc distribution from acd0

acd0 is the cdrom, according to dmesg:

acd0: CDROM <COMPAQ CD-ROM> at at0-master PIO4

i did check the media and it is ok:

shiva1 var # md5sum -c CHECKSUM.MD5
6.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso: OK
6.0-RELEASE-i386-disc2.iso: OK

I dont know if this is related to my other post about the hang on boot,
you can read it here:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=freebsd-questions&m=113147447325120&w=2

I decided to try a ftp install, sysinstall finished without any problem.
Now when im rebooting  the server, it hangs for about 2 minutes, exactly
at this line:

[...dmesg output...]
Timecounters tick every 1.000 msec
acd0: CDROM <COMPAQ CD-ROM SN-124/N104> at ata0-master PIO4
da0 at ciss0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <COMPAQ RAID 1  VOLUME OK> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 135.168MB/s transfers
da0: 34727MB (71122560 512 byte sectors: 255H 32S/T 8716C)

After the 2 minutes hang,  the server booted in the "normal" way, i dont
see any error messages.This also happened when i was trying to install
with the cd, sysinstall started after the 2 minutes delay but i got the
error described above. This make nervous about some conflict or
potential problem with the hardisk or cdrom or even the array
controllers somewhere, i dont have any clue about what could be my
problem, and i have to have running in production this server by the
weekend, any hints?

---
Miguel