how to setup DNS server and making sub-domains in DSL server

Chris racerx at makeworld.com
Sun Nov 6 20:01:31 GMT 2005

Edwin D. Vinas wrote:
> Hi,
>  I need your help please.
> On my personal FreeBSD server connected to an ISP with static IP address,
> I'm planning to setup several websites with their own sub-domains from my
> main domain as shown below. I just want to know some answers to my questions
> before I start.
>  Main domain: www.exampledomain.ph <http://www.exampledomain.ph>
> Sub-domains:
> sub1.exampledomain.ph <http://sub1.exampledomain.ph>
>  sub2.exampledomain.ph <http://sub2.exampledomain.ph>
>  sub3.exampledomain.ph <http://sub3.exampledomain.ph>
>  I want to use BIND together with my Apache virtual hosting in one single
> FreeBSD machine.
>  These are my questions:
> 1) Is it correct that I only need to register or pay for the main domain?
> 2) Is it correct that through my local DNS server, I can add sub hosts (sub1
> to sub3) without anymore registering those sub domains and pay for them in
> my main domain provider?
> 3) Provided that I already have successfully setup my local DNS server,
> Apache virtual hosting and main domain activated, is it straightforward that
> I can already access the sub domains (i.e., websites) from the Internet?
> 4) Do I need to register sub1, sub2 and sub3 in any external domain
> provider?
> 5) Can you provide some sample configs if you are already doing this setup?
>   Thank you in advance!
> - Misoy

Your fisrt and hardest roadblock will be getting your provider to allow
YOU to be authoritive for the IP or IP's you use.

Many will not allow that - meaning, you will get reolution one way, but
not reverse - meaning again, 123.123.123.123 = yourname.com =
123.123.123.123

Once you get past that - the rest is easy.. Im willing to bet tho - your
provider will not allow you or will have to do that for you.

--
Best regards,
Chris

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately
explained by stupidity.