New Logo

Subhro subhro.kar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 22:55:17 PST 2005

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC sat at his 'puter and typed on 11/2/2005 11:55:

> On Nov 1, 2005, at 11:13 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>

>>> And I am not trying to argue and make claims about how inexcusable it
>>> is either.  I merely pointed out to Ted that he is not in the FreeBSD
>>> project and therefore does not have say.
>>>

>> Chad this is bullshit.  First of all the ENTIRE point of this new
>> logo is
>> to increase USE of FreeBSD among the people that allegedly will not
>> use it because of religious "devil" objections.  IN SHORT, this logo
>> is FOR THE USERS, NOT FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE PROJECT.
>
> This is factually incorrect.
>
> The purpose of having a logo to replace the mascot as a logo was to
> project a more professional image.  And that is for the people in the
> project who want to see FreeBSD taken more seriously as well as for
> the users.
Chad,

I think you are not getting the right end of the story. The whole idea
of having a logo is to promote a "company" so that anyone who sees a
glimpse of it on a magazine/newspaper/television or alike would
immediately know about what is being spoken about. Just for an example,
consider you see the logo for Mercedes at a car fair. You would
immediately look more attentively just because it is "MERCEDES". FreeBSD
is NO company (atleast my understanding says so). Therefore logo need
not be taken as seriously as it is being currently taken as.

Now lets come to the mascot issue. Mascot, as per my understanding, is a
graphic, object which is not of much commercial/promotional value.
Generally mascots are just for fun. And you have agreed to the fact that
Beastie does a good job as a mascot.

So my inference would be, it is uncessary to create such a  noise about
logo. Regarding the professionalism, I would say, actions speak louder
than words. I believe that is the reason why you and Greg and Ted and
everyone else on this list exists in the FreeBSD world. 95% of all souls
started off with some MS OS and later on shifted here. MS definitely has
a pretty logo and thats all it has. If it was not just the logo then
FreeBSD would die in the labs itself.

Please correct me if you feel that I am wrong.

Thanks
S.

--
               |               Subhro Sankha Kar
    \   /      |  GSM: +919831064613  --  Fax: +919831832913
     \./       |  MSN:subhro at subhro.org  --  Yahoo: subhro82
    (0Y0)      |  ICQ: 203567534         --  AIM: bsdboy1982