New Logo

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Tue Nov 1 22:25:13 PST 2005

On Nov 1, 2005, at 11:13 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>> And I am not trying to argue and make claims about how inexcusable it
>> is either.  I merely pointed out to Ted that he is not in the FreeBSD
>> project and therefore does not have say.
>>

> Chad this is bullshit.  First of all the ENTIRE point of this new
> logo is
> to increase USE of FreeBSD among the people that allegedly will not
> use it because of religious "devil" objections.  IN SHORT, this logo
> is FOR THE USERS, NOT FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE PROJECT.

This is factually incorrect.

The purpose of having a logo to replace the mascot as a logo was to
project a more professional image.  And that is for the people in the
project who want to see FreeBSD taken more seriously as well as for
the users.

Beastie is a toy and unprofessional.  He is fun and can be a great
mascot.  But he is not a logo.

As a similar example:  Apple Computer used to have a nice multi-
colored Apple logo.  It was nice, but kind of toy-like and got old.
Apple replaced it with a much more professional looking modernized
one-color version.  There was nothing wrong with the old version
except that it got old and dated and looked unprofessional and more
toy-like.

Same (generally speaking) is needed with FreeBSD.  FreeBSD needs to
take a step upwards and become more professional looking.  So think a
lot of users and obviously project members.  There is a minority who
is offended by Beastie.  I can't help that.  A logo coincidentally
solves their problem as well, but that is not the main point.  If you
think so you need to pull your head out of your dogmatic sandpile.

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider