ftp server frustrating

Dan Nelson dnelson at allantgroup.com
Tue May 31 20:47:16 GMT 2005

In the last episode (May 31), Vizion said:
> On Tuesday 31 May 2005 13:00,  the author Dan Nelson contributed to the dialogue on-  Re: ftp server frustrating:
> >ftp.freebsd.org is actually 2 machines; the one at 62.243.72.50
> >(ftp.beastie.tdk.net) seems to have the 15 second timeout.  The one at
> >204.152.184.73 (freebsd.isc.org) doesn't.
>
> Ok so we are now agreed that the timing for the machine to which I
> connected is set at 15 seconds?

I never doubted you :)

> dns returns 62.243.72.50 so that machine is the first contact. Surely
> it is not intended to be aset so that manually logins are virtually
> impossible.. I do not see anything in your reference to indicate such
> a goal.

That's because I did not want to make guesses as to why the
administrator set a 15 second timeout.

> Is there any reason why the timimg on that machine cannot be adjusted
> so that it is the same as the machine you tested? If it is a minute
> or more that would be reasonable but 15 seconds is far too short for
> anyone at the keyboard who is not a keyboard racing greyhound!! :-)

Dunno.  As I said in my first email, you'll probably have to ask the
administrator of that site.  Note that although the prompt asks for an
email address, it does not enforce it.  Just enter a blank password.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson at allantgroup.com